Bring Your Own Device
Bring Your Own Device
At Elk Island Catholic Schools (EICS), our mission is to inspire success, confidence and hope in each student. As leaders in the use of technology, we encourage creative and innovative learning. Today’s students are already technology leaders. They want to take the technology they use in their daily lives and make it a normal part of their classroom experience. Research tells us that if we reflect this in their learning experiences, we will increase engagement which leads to improved student success. Starting in September of 2016, EICS implemented One-to-One in EICS, which means students can bring their own devices to school for educational purposes. In the classroom, students use devices responsibly, and only with the permission and direction of the teacher or other staff member. Of course, technology alone will not improve learning— when combined with the right instruction from skilled staff, amazing things can happen. The increased use of technology in EICS classrooms will “power up” student success today, and for the future. Here’s why personally owned devices work best:
- Students are usually experts with the device they have and customize it to their learning needs
- Students can use it to learn anytime, anywhere
- Students can collaborate with their peers after school, about their school work
- Student-owned devices are typically more up-to-date than those schools provide
- School-owned devices are expensive and can be hard to sustain
We know that not all parents can or want to send their child/ teen to school with a device. That’s why teachers continue to plan assuming that not every student will bring a personally owned device to school. Technology will not be used every day for every lesson. There is a right time and place.
Devices and other technology are available for students to use at school if they are not bringing one from home, and all students will have greater access to technology in their classrooms. In terms of what device we suggest recommend the Chromebook as the ideal device due to price, battery life, fast startup and usability. Students are welcome to use laptops, iOS and Android tablets and smartphones all accessing our WiFi.
If you would like to bring your own device - we certainly welcome that as well. A device brought for learning should meet the following requirements:
- Internet ready (preferably with the Chrome browser)
- Ability to type
- Battery life of a full school day (6 hours)
- Easily labelled for identification
Technology Program Chromebook Leasing - Year 3
With the successful implementation of the One to One technology program, EICS is excited to enter into year 3 of the initiative.
- Existing lease participants will have the option to buy-out their existing Chromebook at a nominal fee. All the information on this is within Powerschool, including steps on how to pay online. This will be open until May 31, 2018.
- For new participants, the option to purchase or lease to own a Chromebook will be offered by Staples and not directly from the school.
- Because of the positive feedback we’ve received from you about the service and support provided by Staples, we continue to recommend them to our parent community.
- Below is the link to Staples' most recent offer, which now includes payment options.
- We will continue to maintain a small inventory of Chromebooks at the school in the event that the student forgets to bring or charge their own device.
- Any further questions, please contact your school administration.
Below are two documents that will provide you with more information. As well, on the EICS main website please go to the Programs, Learning Technologies page on how this initiative and technology in general can assist with your child’s educational journey.